Monday, May 02, 2011

Terrorism in all its forms.

I'm a Christian.  

I fail at it often.  

But there are some fundamentals of being a Christian that I try to follow. 

Jesus said not only to love our neighbour, but our enemies as well.  He told us to pray for those that despise us and persecute us.  We are to forgive 70 x 7 every day. 

It is because I absolutely believe this to be  amongst the foundational precepts of being a Christian, that I cannot join in the celebrations over the death of Osama Bin Laden. 

Religion aside, do we really think we have conquered terrorism because a single man is dead?    

Do we actually still believe in an eye for an eye like the Old Testament taught, or have we moved into the priesthood of Jesus that teaches us to love and forgive, and that God will be the only Judge and Avenger.  

Do we believe that this man was beyond redemption?  That he is somehow excluded from the world that God loved so much that He gave His only begotten Son?  

Did I want him found and captured?  Absolutely.  

But I will not cheer the death of man who has now no chance of salvation.  

I'll end this with a little quote that has been floating around the internet today:


"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
--Martin Luther King, Jr

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gooder

Anonymous said...

Touché