Monday, February 14, 2011

My Valentine

I sat down to write about my valentines today.

I wanted to create a little love letter for my husband, and for my sweet children.  I thought it would be nice, to spell out what they mean to me every day.

But as I sat here, trying to come up with words big enough, I was chastened a little.

Just yesterday, we heard a story of a little girl, drawing her heart and fitting all of those she loved into it.  Her mom gently reminded her that she hadn't left a spot for God, so she found a little space and squeezed him in.  Her mom was proud, but the lesson was that God doesn't want a little corner of our heart.  He wants our whole heart.

Here I am one day later, wondering what grand gestures of love I can perform in honor of my husband and children.

But I have yet to kneel down and pray.

I haven't opened my bible today in an effort to seek out the greatest love letter that's ever been written... and just for me.

I haven't sought the affections of my true soul-mate today, nor have I even begun to understand what it means to love God with all of my heart and soul and mind.

I am thankful for this little reminder that if I truly love my family, I will seek the kingdom of God first.

No comments: