Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hope and Despair

O Haiti

Today I wondered what I should eat,
and as I chose my meal from full cupboards
I remembered that you have no food.

Later, I drank a glass of water,
clean and fresh, right from my tap
and remembered that you have no water.

Today I kissed little piggies as I put socks and shoes
on my children and thought about
the little lifeless feet I have seen
trapped under your concrete mountains.

Later, I tucked my children into bed,
in their clean pajamas and with full bellies
and I wondered how many of your children
were sleeping outside, surrounded by the stench of death.

Today I felt hopeless and overwhelmed by your plight
and my faith wavered and I doubted and wept
and then was ashamed as I saw you marching,
resilient and strong, singing songs of faith.

O Haiti  - you have our hearts and prayers.

1 comment:

Leif and Laura said...

Nice post girl.